October 05, 2010

Gillette Fusion Proglide

As the quest for the perfect shave continues, my next experience involved the Gillette Fusion Proglide, a 5 blade razor. I recently purchased this razor plus two blades for about $2.00 on sale.

Knowing my shaving skills, the 5 blades made me a little nervous, so I decided to also buy a styptic pencil, which is to help stop bleeding in the case of minor cuts. After two months of using this razor I never needed or even opened the styptic pencil.

After the first shave, I was very impressed by the closeness and smoothness of this razor. However, it did not leave my face with a close smooth look, just a close smooth feel. By the end of the day you could see and feel some stubble again.

After about 2 weeks of use, the moisturizing glide strip was shot and the razor of course was no longer cutting like new. One nice aspect was the fact that the razor didn't cut me even when dull.

The razor also has a single blade to cut side burns which seemed to work well.

Overall, this is a great razor, but the question is "Is it worth the price?"

The initial cost of the razor is about $10 with 2 blades. The replacement cartridges cost about $3.00 each.

There is no doubt this is a better razor than the Bic Advanced 3 I tested a few months ago. The real test will be how this razor compares to the Schick Hydro, which will be tested next, and the Mach 3 to be tested later.

For now though I'll give this razor a 90%, mainly because of its hefty price tag.

No comments: