Below is a letter sent to the Ed Rendell, Bob Casey, John Murtha, and Dave Reed; winners of the November 7, 2006 election for my hometown area.
Congratulations on your win in the recent election! Pennsylvania and America needs a responsible government; one that will not waste its resources. We need reform, not just business or politics as usual. Below are several areas the government needs to review at all levels.
1. Budget Reform – stop wasteful spending, corporate subsidies and eliminate other unnecessary expenses and programs.
2. Lower taxes for businesses and households. Make the tax cuts permanent. This will require budget cuts and eliminating programs.
3. Bills that are created and passed should have no unnecessary earmarks or other riders attached which are not related to the bill. To ensure this, pass a line-item-veto.
4. Emergency spending needs reformed; again eliminate unnecessary and unrelated expenses. The emergency funding should be offset by cuts in other programs, not by raising taxes.
5. Protecting private property rights through eminent domain reform is also very important to a prosperous and free Pennsylvania/America.
6. Social Security is an issue and will not take care of itself; the government needs to secure the Social Security system for future generations.
7. Keep the Internet free of unnecessary regulation and taxes.
8. Welfare is an important program that needs fixed, not by raising the minimum wage or throwing more money at the problem. True reform requires job creation and growth so the people on welfare can work. Also, those people on welfare should be required to do something for that welfare check rather than serve no purpose to the community.
9. Border Control is important to keep the proper flow of immigrants into the United States.
10. Support the military, not just financially, but with your actions and words used at all times. It is fine to disagree with the deployment of troops, however, once there, they need support from all government officials and all citizens of the United States.
You have been given the responsibility to help govern the greatest nation in the world, please act responsibly and patriotically throughout your term.