So I was pleasantly surprised to see Arlen Specter's latest ad. In the ad, Specter does not attack any of his opponents. He simply states what he stands for and has stood for. Here are the four points in his ad.
- Voted 20 times to raise the minimum wage
- Fought China's illegal trade practices
- Worked for increased health care
- Lead fight for stem cell research
- I am against a minimum wage for various reasons. I believe business owners should pay there employees a fair wage for their work, not be forced to pay what the government tells them to pay. Minimum wage increases usually hurt small businesses the worst and can cause unemployment to rise.
- Personally, I like getting the best bang for my buck, so I don't mind buying stuff made in China. Yes, I do have a problem with human rights violations anywhere in the world, but that is not what Specter fought about.
- By increased health care, Specter means the heath insurance bill, which I am totally against. People do not need nor should they be required to have health insurance. Yes, people should have access to affordable health care. One of the main problems with health care is the fact that lawsuits drive up the cost. And for those of you who don't know, Specter earned his law degree from Yale.
- As for stem cell research, I am still not quite sure I understand what it is all about and no one seems to really be able to explain it exactly. But if stem cell research involves experimenting with a human life then it is wrong.