February 28, 2011

Book Review

The Greatest Story Ever Told by Fulton Oursler

This book is a narrative of the life of Christ. The author fills in the parts of the story that are left out of the Biblical record of the life of Christ. The account starts with Joseph and Mary and ends with a discussion about Christ’s resurrection.

Let me first say that I do not enjoy reading fiction and that is what this book is. I prefer reading books that are factual or tell me something, not just a story for entertainment. That being said, the author had some interesting and creative ideas about the unknown parts of Christ’s life.

I can’t say I agreed with how the author portrayed some of the characters. For example, the author seems to make Judas Iscariot look like he was almost tricked into giving up Jesus. Even the end where Annas and Caiphas are sitting around talking, wondering if they had made a mistake seemed a little strange. But it is possible.

Overall, I can’t say I would recommend this book for everyone to read. I think it serves a good purpose to broaden the traditional thinking of mature Christians. On the other hand, I can see how it might confuse those that are new to the faith.

But I can also see the value of this book if it gets someone interested enough to study the life of Christ more closely and deeply with Scripture.

That is just my opinion. Billy Graham wrote an introduction in this edition and J. Edger Hoover also wrote a brief statement about the book as well. They seemed to think it is a good book. So I guess you'll have to just read it yourself and come to your own conclusion.

No comments: