March 19, 2013

Boycott RiteAid

Doe Valley is officially boycotting RiteAid stores and pharmacy. Read on to find out why.

Last week the doctor prescribed a vitamin drop for my daughter. I had the doctor send the prescription directly to RiteAid so it would be ready for us when we got there. I entered the store and headed to the pharmacy counter and stood there waiting as 3 people behind the counter looked at me and then looked at each other to see who would be the first to give in and actually see what I wanted.

After a minute or two, one of the ladies walked over and asked what I needed. I said I was there to pick up a prescription. She brought the prescription over to me and said that would be $16.19. I said I have met my deductible on my insurance for the year, so I shouldn't need to pay anything.

She said she didn't have my insurance information, so I gave her the card and she processed the transaction. She came back over to me and said your insurance does not cover this since it is considered over the counter.

By this point in the conversation I just wanted the prescription to get home so I just paid the $16 for it and left. When I got home I found out they gave me the generic version and the doctor specifically requested a name brand.

To make matters worse, I decided since it was an over the counter prescription I should just be able to walk into any store and purchase it. Sure enough, I checked Wal*Mart and the name brand was on the shelf for about $8 and the generic version that I paid $16 for was sitting right next to it for $4.

I don't mind paying a little extra for convenience. However, Wal*Mart was about 100 yards away from RiteAid. I could have easily went into Wal*Mart and bought the name brand vitamin drops for $8 rather than pay double for generic!

Good bye RiteAid!


No comments: