October 03, 2014

Book Review

Be Real by Warren W. Wiersbe

Warren Wiersbe takes the reader through the book of First John in his own unique way. I have seen many of Wiersbe's books advertised, but this is the first one I have read. It won't be the last either. I have a few more sitting on my shelf.

Each chapter, of which there are ten, examines a portion of First John. The author typically quotes portions of the passage being examined, other portions of Scripture, and includes a story or two to further illustrate his point.

The author attempts to guide the reader into living a real life of love and right living, all based upon First John. It seems to me the author came up with a clever title to his book and then made First John fit into his title.

First John is not about being "real." First John is about the fundamental basics of Christianity. Sure, love is a part of being a Christian, but so are faithfulness and obedience.

Overall, I was disappointed in this book. Sure, Wiersbe makes some great biblical points, but I wouldn't call this book a study guide or a review of First John. That being said, I will certainly read some other books of Wiersbe. He isn't wrong. The book just wasn't what I was expecting.



No comments: