June 25, 2007

Marry for Money?

Below is a letter sent to the editors of Money Magazine.


Dear Editors:

I was appalled by the mere title of Marlys Harris “article” titled “How to Marry a Billionaire” in the July 2007 issue of Money magazine. I thought it could have been some type of joke or something just to catch the reader. As I started to read the article I think the author(s) actually believed what they were writing and they were giving good advice as if they were doing a service to their readers!

That is crazy. This type of nonsensical article is not what I expect from a respected financial publication. Marriage is about a public lifelong commitment between a man and a woman. A marriage should be rewarding, fulfilling, and meaningful not just about how much money I can get my hands on.

The institution of marriage and family is the backbone of society. Without it our society will no longer grow. In fact, it will actually have a self-destructive effect as the generations experience less and less family ties.

Trying to be someone else just so you can marry them for their money and then divorcing them and taking up to half of their money is not good advice! The correct term for that is greed. That for sure sounds like the downfall of any society!

I hope Money magazine does not continue publishing and wasting several valuable pages with garbage like this!

No comments: