May 11, 2009

Book Review

Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge

This book is co-authored by John and Stasi Eldredge. Sometimes it is clear who is writing, other times it is not.

Overall the premise of the book is for women to be captivating. Their hearts should provide the invitation to romance so they can let their true beauty shine forth all the while having an adventure throughout their lives.

“What Wild at Heart did for men, Captivating will do for you” is the caption on the back of the book. When I read the caption, I was a little annoyed because “Wild at Heart” did nothing for me. In fact, I though the book was wrong, so I had little expectation for this book.

As I started reading, however, I found this book to be better in places than “Wild at Heart.” The places I found myself enjoying were when Stasi wrote. I found myself usually disagreeing with John’s writing.

This book is an okay read, but could have been better if Stasi would have wrote the whole book. As with “Wild at Heart” the theology is a little off in places and the authors seem to use more movie and cultural references than scripture to prove their point. Sometimes (as with “Wild at Heart”) the scripture is interpreted in a weak or liberal way to further attempt to substantiate their point.

This is another book you can safely skip.




.

No comments: