June 13, 2013

Cell Phone Use, Which Ear / Hand?

The other day I read a study from JAMA about which ear is used to listen on a cell phone. Here are the results:

Results  A total of 717 surveys were returned. Ninety percent of the respondents were right handed, and 9% were left handed. Sixty-eight percent of the right-handed people used the cell phone in their right ear, 25% in the left ear, and 7% had no preference. Seventy-two of the left-handed respondents used their left ear, 23% used their right ear, and 5% had no preference. Cell phone use averaged 540 minutes per month over the past 9 years.

You can read the entire report for yourself here: JAMA: Hemispheric Dominance and Cell Phone Use

After reading these results I thought they were crazy. Why would a right handed person use their right hand to talk on a phone? It doesn't make any sense. How do you write things down or perform other tasks while talking on the phone and your right (dominate) hand is holding a phone.

Today, I decided to take my own survey and prove the medical professionals wrong. Obviously, my sample size was significantly smaller, however, my survey data provided the same results as the medical professionals.

It just doesn't make sense to me. When I talk on the phone I use my left hand, holding the phone to my left ear. My right hand is dominate and free to do other things while talking on the phone. It just makes sense!

Am I crazy or is everyone else?

Still thinking here in Doe Valley.

No comments: