March 27, 2007

Letter to the Editor of Money Magazine

Here is a letter I sent to Money magazine regarding a recent article in their April 2007 issue.

Underpaid? How to find out now by Sam Grobart


I work in a public school district. Each year our salaries are published in the local newspaper. Everyone in town knows what I make! Some people will comment on my salary, however, most do not.

Each year everyone is given an “across-the-board” increase, which usually amounts to little more than a cost of living adjustment. That is the frustrating part, no matter how hard I work, I know I am going to get the same raise as the guy in the cubicle next to me!

3 comments:

Roland said...

Wouldn't it be great if there were privatization and competition among schools?
Then pay would be based on performance. And eventually the government would step in and say some kids are getting bad education.
Crud. I don't like the turn my logic just took.

Wesley Matthews said...

Pennsylvania has one of the most powerful teachers union in the country! They pretty much get what they want.

One reason is because they are allowed to strike, but they still get paid!

There is a push to eliminate teacher strikes here in PA.
http://www.stopteacherstrikes.org/
Most other states have already made it illegal.

Another reason...they give a ton of money to the PA political leaders!

The Unseen One said...

Yep. That's the Union mentality. I live in Pittsburgh, a city that is a testimant to how badly unions can screw over a city.