I finished reading the book “Seven Men Who Rule the World from the Grave” by Dave Breese. The book is about seven people who changed the way the world thinks about life and how their ideas still resonate today.
You may not have heard of these people before, but I’ll bet you are familiar with their ideas!
The seven men and their ideas are:
- Charles Darwin – Theory of evolution
- Karl Marx – Communism
- Julius Wellhausen – Biblical “scholar” who created a “new” way of looking at the Bible (Religious Liberalism)
- Sigmund Freud – Psychoanalysis of people and how sexual instinct controls all beings
- John Dewey – Educational reform by encouraging a child to “grow” as apposed to learning
- John Maynard Keynes – Economics and governmental influence on society
- Soren Kierkegaard – Existentialism (each person is responsible to themselves)
If you have any interest in the characters mentioned above, I would highly recommend reading the book or at least the chapter on the person you are interested in. Essentially, the conclusion is the same, each of these people moved the thinking away from God and towards man, government, and other worldly things.