August 09, 2008

Book Review

Now That I Believe by Robert A. Cook


I enjoy listening to Dr. Cook each morning on the radio for his brief "Walk with the King" segment. I read a previous book of his and was impressed. I was expecting the same quality from this book as well.


Now That I Believe is wrote to the new Christian and I was hoping it would be a good book to recommend to others. However, I was disappointed in this book. Especially since the book claims to have over one million copies in print!


This book has nine chapters and each chapter attempts to answer a particular question that a new Christian might have.


The chapters are:
  • What happened to me?
  • How long will this new-found joy last?
  • The battle ahead (what to do in temptation)
  • How do I act like a Christian?
  • What to do about the Bible?
  • How can I pray?
  • Do I have to testify?
  • What shall I do with my life?
  • Worldliness and what to do about it?

These are all excellent questions, but Dr. Cook didn't seem to really give a great answer to them. It seems like most of the book is simply quotes from the Bible combined together. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is not what I was expecting from Dr. Cook.

Overall, this is a short read, but one that can be safely skipped over as it doesn't really provide much insight for Christian living.

Next up is: Why Government Can't Save You by John MacArthur

No comments: