January 28, 2008

Equal Opportunity Employer

I saw an ad for an interesting job opportunity the other day. But before I tell you about it, you need to know that this place claims it “does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability or handicap, national origin, race, religious creed, gender or veteran status.”

The job title is Director of Campus Ministry.

“Responsibilities include coordination of volunteer service programs, pastoral counseling and spiritual direction, coordinating liturgical celebrations, leadership development, budgeting, staff development and evaluation, collaboration with other College departments, and networking with local civic and religious groups.” Great, I can do (most of) that.

“Masters degree… preferred” Great, I have that (not in the subject areas listed though).

“The successful candidate will be of Catholic faith” What? So, since I am not Catholic I will not be able to get the job? Doesn’t that sound like discrimination?

I am tempted to inquire of the human resources department about how that requirement is not discriminatory. I won’t though, because it is a place I might like to work at someday. So, no need to cause trouble. It is just interesting to see.

I guess when it is a religious organization, they can discriminate and hire only those people of that faith. It does make sense when you think about it. Having a Satan worshiper to direct Campus Ministry would present a problem.

No comments: